Ermakov Andrey Sergeevich, Postgraduate student, Penza State University
(40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia) , firstname.lastname@example.org
Ermakov Oleg Aleksandrovich, Candidate of biological sciences, associate professor, sub-department of zoology and ecology, Penza State University, (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Background. Studying variability of animals is one of the most important trends in modern biology. The aim of this study is to analyze variability of the endolateral teeth formula of Ukrainian brook lamprey (Eudontomyzon mariae) which inhabits the extended area from Eastern Europe to the Volga. In the Penza region this species has been observed in two river basins: the Don basin and the Volga basin.
Materials and methods. We studied 158 individuals of lampreys from six rivers of the Volga basin and one river from the Don basin. The number of cusps on three endolateral teeth was counted. We defined and compared frequencies of occurrence of endolateral formula variants among the populations.
Results and conclusions. Taking into account the asymmetry between the left and the right sites of the oral disc, ten variants and thirty combinations of endolateral formula can be distinguished. Most of the individuals are characterized by symmetrical dentition: 1-2-2 (25,3 %), 1-2-1 (15,8 %), 2-2-2 (6,3 %) and 2-2-1 (5,1 %). Maximum variability of endolateral formulae was observed in the population of the Don basin.
1. Holčík J., Renaud C. B. The Freshwater fishes of Europe. 1986, pp. 165–185, vol. 1, part I. Petromyzontiformes.
2. Annotirovannyy katalog kruglorotykh i ryb kontinental'nykh vod Rossii [Annotated catalogue of Cyclostomata and fishes of contitental water of Russia]. Ed. Yu. S. Reshetnikov. Moscow: Nauka, 1998, 218 p.
3. Levin B. A. Voprosy ikhtilogii [Problems of ichthyology]. 2001, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 849–850.
4. Levin B. A., Holčik J. Folia Zool. 2006, vol. 55 (3), pp. 282–286.
5. Artaev O. N., Ermakov A. S., Ruchin A. B., Ermakov O. A., Levin B. A. Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya: estestvennye i tekhnicheskie nauki [Bulletin of Tambov University. Series : natural and engineering sciences]. 2013, no. 6, pp. 2972–2974.
6. Vladykov V. D., Follet W. I. Fish. Res. Bd. Canada 24. 1967, pp. 1067–1075.
7. Mateus C. S., Alves M. J., Quintella B. R., Almeida P. R. Contributions to Zoology.2013, vol. 82(1), pp. 37–53.
8. Ermakov A. S., Levin B. A. Ekosistema malykh rek: bioraznoobrazie, ekologiya, okhra¬na: lektsii i materialy dokl. Vseros. shkoly-konferentsii. IBVV RAN im. I. D. Papanina (18–21 noyabrya 2008 g.) [Ecosystem of small rivers : biodiversity, ecology, protec¬tion : lections and reports of the All-Russian school-conference. I.D. Papanin Institute for biology of inland waters of the Russian Academy of Sciences (18–21 November 2008)]. Moscow: Printkhaus, 2008, pp. 185–187.
9. Stefanov T., Holčík J. Folia Zool. 2007, vol. 56 (2), pp. 213–224.